The KIC was tasked in 2010 with the investigation of disturbances in Southern Kyrgyzstan. Its mandate was fourfold:
- Investigate the facts and circumstances of the events of June 2010 in Osh and its surrounding provinces in the Kyrgyz Republic including the causes and course of events as well as actions taken in the aftermath;
- Qualify the violations and the crimes under international law;
- Determine responsibilities and, where possible, identify those responsible; and
- Make recommendations, including, in particular on accountability measures, so as to ensure non-repetition of the violations and to contribute towards peace, stability and reconciliation.
The aim of mediatEUr’s project is to identify the lessons from this experience regarding good practice in the conduct of international inquiries. More specifically, the objectives are:
- To formulate a series of strategic questions regarding the modalities of independent commissions of inquiry.
- To debrief members of the Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission
- To write a case study of the design and operational experience of the Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission.
This project forms part of mediatEUr’s work to promote good practice in peace mediation by piloting innovation in learning, lesson gathering and dissemination. To learn more about this work, please click here.
 Kyrgyzstan Inquiry Commission, Report of the Independent International Commission of Inquiry into the Events in Southern Kyrgyzstan in June 2010. Available online at